Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Crime and Punishment

I got a response email today from bureau chief in charge of hiring at the district attorney's office I am still being considered for. I had emailed him yesterday informing him that I passed the bar and am still interested in being hired for their spring class of ADAs. This would be my dream job, so of course I have to wait longer to find out if it will come through. They would like to extend offers "much earlier" this year (usually it is done in February or later), so I'm hoping maybe they will do so by the new year. I had very good vibes from each round of interviews I had at this office last year, and if the government simply had more money, I believe I would have been hired already. Grrr. There is a small percentage of people who leave law school wanting to make pennies and serve the public interest. I happen to be one of them, and there's nothing I can do about it.

On the other side of the employment spectrum, I've applied to a couple of firms in Boston. One has an office in NYC and wants someone with dual admission (score!) but also wants 1-5 years of experience (no score). I technically do have almost a full year of legal working experience because of all of my internships so I applied anyway, and my law school has a good track record there. The other firm is criminal defense/civil rights litigation, which I could definitely do. I've done quite a bit of defense work thus far, and while in my heart of hearts I would rather be a prosecutor, I believe wholeheartedly in the right to a defense, making the government prove its case, and coming up with pseudo-crazy arguments to get the defendant off the hook. I'm hoping I'll at least get an interview with this firm, since they also have alums from my school, and they are only asking for 0-3 years of experience. Of course, I bet half of the people from my graduating class (the half without jobs) are also applying to these firms, but whatever.

Speaking of getting the defendant off, OJ Simpson is coming out with a new book: "If I Did It." Um, whaaaa? You DID do it, we all know you did it, and this is why the consumer culture of America makes me want to vomit. And Fox News is airing an interview with the famed football star/movie star/bad commercial star/slicer and dicer.

On an unrelated note, the fact that SoapNet airs two hours of Beverly Hills 90210 each weekday makes me very happy.

No comments: