Monday, December 18, 2006

The Search for the Perfect Apartment, Part II

Well.

That was...eventful. In some good ways and some bad.

The good news is that I found a place. After seeing a bunch of tiny postage stamp size studios and one bedroom places, I decided I should widen my geographic preferences a bit and find something better. The place I picked is beautiful, huge, allows dogs, and is very decently priced. I won't feel secure for another few days of course because everything took longer than expected and the lease is being FedEx'd to me, but hopefully there won't be a problem.

The bad news is...a lot:

1. Car got towed. Our fault in misreading the damn signs, but still really fucking annoying. And fucking expensive.

2. The bait and switch. We lost almost a half a day of searching due to the assholicness of a broker who led me to believe the apartment he was showing me was a no-fee apartment when it wasn't and then who never even showed up to where I was supposed to meet him. Dick.

3. Shady/fraudulent "landlord screening company": Their schtick is to get you to fork over money, run your credit check that will be good for any of their landlords, assure you they will find you an apartment in two days, and then NEVER CALL YOU BACK. The rest is too bitchy to recap, but if I don't get a full refund, and actually, even when I do, I will be reporting these pricks to the city and the Better Business Bureau.

4. Meeting your father, who happens to be in the city on business, for dinner: Every interaction with my father leads to tears, indigestion, or a migraine. 'Nuff said.

So, all in all, the search was ultimately successful with a lot of pitfalls along the way. But I'm a little bit wiser.

I start work January 2, and because we're going to San Fran for Christmas to visit Sister and Sister's boyfriend, I won't be moving in until December 30th. Since I'll be busy unpacking on New Year's Day at least I won't have time to get nervous...

Except I'm already nervous, especially after seeing the "couple of CLE materials" I picked up from the office on Friday to read up on before I start. I needed a big box and had to take a cab back.

Also? I've done zero Christmas shopping.

No comments: