Thursday, January 18, 2007

Fuck the Tax Man

I originally named the federal agency before switching it to "tax man" because I am honestly and perhaps not stupidly afraid of being shipped off to Gitmo for anything negative I say about the government.

I got a notice in the mail telling me I owe $188 on my 2005 taxes. First of all, it's now 2007, so why the fuck did it take them so long? Second, this is bullshit. This was from my second year of law school. I was a law student. A poor, broke, god damn law student. With none of that summer associate money that constitutes more than the income of many Americans. So of course they come after me. Third, I need to respond by February 1st and I don't have the time or energy to fight this. Fourth, if I didn't despise that dingbat in the White House so much I wouldn't feel as bad about giving him more money to throw away.

Fifth? Oh, fuck it. Fuck it all. Fuck the IRS to hell.

1 comment:

Zuska said...

I would offer to help you sort through it, but since I just got a "fair" in tax ... I share the sentiments of your title (but apply it to a professor, not a government agency).

I had a tax snaffoo earlier in the year - funny thing -- they didn't send me a letter (even though I've filed taxes with current addresses every single year) - they just slapped a lien on my credit report. A phone call was all it took to get it straightened out with the tax persons, but with the credit agencies? Not settled YET. Even though I have a letter from the tax people saying it was their error.

So as tired as you are - try and take care of it before 2/1. Getting that lien on your credit report is NOT fun to deal with.