Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Things That Freak Me Out.

In no particular order:

1. The thought that even in nicely maintained NYC apartment buildings, there are mice.
2. Not feeling totally prepared and knowledgeable regarding where we are in the discovery process going into preliminary and compliance conferences.
3. Overhearing offhand remarks by opposing counsel that my client's claims are losers.
4. Sitting between two people on the subway who are both reading the bible.
5. Despite its widespread critical acclaim and adoring fan base, Friday Night Lights may not be renewed for a second season.
6. Running four miles on pure adrenaline at 7pm after eating only a bowl of cereal and a peanut butter and honey sandwich all day.
7. Going into the holding cell behind the courtroom to talk to a client only to get checked out and listen to "damn i'll take you as my lawyer."
8. This. and if you're not a Times Select subscriber, don't talk to me.
9. My bank account.
10. The idea that Tom Cruise is going to win an Oscar within 5 years.
11. My wireless router inexplicably stopped working and I am now using an ETHERNET cable for the time being. For shame.
12. The daily way my head fills with sludge and foam around 4pm in dire need of caffeine.
13. Getting 6 hours of sleep when I know I really need 8.

Ok, so as to not be a total whiner, things that make me happy:

(because this is me, the list is mighty shorter)

1. A relaxing dinner and bottle of wine with K, my best friend from college, fellow lawyer, and confidant.
2. Realizing after years of insecurity, doubt, and anxiety that, although I still have my issues and always will, I am objectively attractive.
3. My education and the opportunities ahead of me.
4. Music.
5. Sleeping in on Sundays.
6. DVR.
7. Really understanding the idea that in your working 20s, your friends become your second family.
8. The blog! (How did I live without it?)
9. The 13 year old pup. (I will NOT survive without her and can't think about that day...which will be a billion years from now.)

Damnit, my pessimism takes over and leaks into my happy thoughts too! Therapy, must make that happen.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shouldn't #7 on the complaint list be moved to the positive list and labeled #2A?

Harmless Error said...

Decent point. He's always thinking, that thinking fool...

However, when was the last time these guys have been mere feet from a woman?

Anonymous said...

In nicely maintained NYC apartment buildings there also might be rats.