Friday, March 23, 2007

The awesomeness of my friends...

is unparalleled. But of course, literally all of my girlfriends are out of town this weekend. One of today's smile-inducing emails:

To: bestest college roomie/lawyer
From: harmless
Subject: Greetings
Date: March 23, 2007

Saying hi. Are you going to have to work all weekend again? Want to catch a flick or go shopping (I need a spring work-type coat) or do something tomorrow?

Write. back.

To: harmless
From: bestest college roomie/lawyer
Subject: re: Greetings
Date: March 23, 2007

no, but i'm going home! who are you? are we friends? what? i haven't seen you in WEEKS. i can't deal. we need to make more of an effort. stop fainting.

kc

p.s. i need a spring work-type coat too!

To: bestest college roomie/lawyer
From: harmless
Subject: re: Greetings
Date: March 23, 2007

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

(me. crying.)

is it nyc? why do i feel like i've retreated inward? is it the daily grind?


And my guy friends, at least the ones here, while great goofy buddies, aren't the best choices for one-on-one meaningful conversations. Unless it's 3am and we're drunk. But I don't feel like doing that. So. I think I'm gonna wander the city by myself tomorrow. Gotta get out of the apartment. Where should I go? What should I do? I used to adore going to movies by myself - I felt decadent and wistful. But here I might feel kind of pathetic. Book stores? Cafes? I would need a book in a cafe. Why do characters in NYC-set tv shows, aside from being preternaturally beautiful, always appear to have the city at their feet? No crowds, no garbage, just bright colors and light. (Forgive me. I just watched Six Degrees - yes, it's back. Hope Davis is lovely. Bridget Moynahan is skeletal.)

Wait a minute. High of 48 degrees tomorrow? Snow on Sunday? Happy spring, indeed.

No comments: