Wednesday, June 13, 2007

"But your honor, she's been attending meetings for three weeks"...or, How to Think on Your Feet.

In my short time as a practicing attorney, one of the most important things I have learned is the following:

Clients lie.

Plaintiff, defendant, injured, criminal, law-breaker, scapegoat, harasser, or harassee. If you need a lawyer, you've likely told a fib or two.

Today's example of the lying client resulted in my being blindsided in court. The judge was not happy. I was not happy. The DA seemed quite happy.

So yes, clients lie. The problem is, probation reports and drug tests don't.

In the fake and therefore more fun world of television, due to the crappiness that is the summer schedule (whatever happened to good old fashioned repeats? I hate reality tv), I've been recording old episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and The Practice, which are on at 7 and 8am respectively on F/X. I forgot how awesome they both are. Now I just need LA Law and Thirtysomething and I'll be a happy camper.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about NIGHT COURT?

Harmless Error said...

and Night Court. Dan Fielding is one of the few great Americans.