Monday, October 29, 2007

The "Are You Fucking Kidding Me?" Moment of the Day

Subway. Express train home. Headphones in. Michael Jackson is telling me that it's close to midnight and something evil's lurking through the dark.

Suddenly, a tap on my shoulder. I turn, and see a tall thin 45-ish nerdy guy. I say, "Yes?" Dude goes, "It's too loud. Too loud."

Um, excuse me? Are you fucking kidding me? First of all, the volume on my dam ipod wasn't even turned all the way up. Second, it's the subway. 98% of people have earphones in. Sometimes, yes, a person's music is loud, and you wonder how his or her eardrums are handling it since you can hear it from the outside. But mine wasn't that loud. Aside from that, who the fuck is so bothered by that as to tell a person to turn it down? Um, move away if you're bothered. Jesus.

So, I say to the doofus, "What song is playing?"

"Huh?"

"If it's so loud, you must know what song is playing. It's a pretty famous song that anyone who's been alive in the past three decades should know."

"Uh, well I don't know. But the drums are just too loud so could you turn it down?"

"Um, no."

Nerdy guy looks flustered and embarrassed, as people around us start to snicker. He got off at the next stop. Another guy who had heard the whole exchange then says to me, "What was that?"

I have no idea.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This story confirms what I have known for years - you fucking rock!!! Love it!

Anonymous said...

damn this happens to me ALL THE TIME. on the bus, in the car, everywhere. Even in class today the prof was like "do i hear music?" and looked right at me. Excuse me but there's was still 10 min b4 class started. *sigh* Kudos on the MJ though. were you listening to thriller?

Anonymous said...

OMG

Separated at birth?

I adore you.

Grace said...

(sigh) like I need more proof that you are the coolest woman alive.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous!

Harmless Error said...

Thanks people! I try.

M, yes it was Thriller. One of the best songs ever.

Unknown said...

Dude, I only wish that this could happen to me and I could react in such a bad-ass way. But, of course, mine would probably come off more like that whole Jerk Store thing on Seinfeld. Anyway, that's awesome.

And Thriller does kick ass.

K said...

Classic response. Love it.

Anonymous said...

lol read this for another point of view
http://media.www.roundupnews.com/media/storage/paper474/news/2007/09/27/Opinion/Dont-Be.A.Music.Menace.Turn.That.Volume.Down-2994392.shtml