Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Gym Ettiquette 101

Or, How to Lose a Not Even Potential Client.

Bottom line: I don't like personal trainers. They're overpriced and overly excited. I can copy the exercises I see them showing other people. For free.

So, this morning at the gym, I'm stretching on the mats following 40 minutes of hill intervals and a few sets of bicep and tricep curls. It's approaching 8am, and I'm about to make my way to the locker room. Suddenly, "Tony" (I bet they're all named Tony) starts chatting me up about my workout habits and whether I've had my free fitness assessment and I should come to his kickboxing class on Friday. After I took my headphones out to feign interest/be polite (headphones! the international sign of "Don't talk to me"), Tony inexplicably says, "You're what, 21?"

Oh Tony. I admit, I may look young for my age. Especially redfaced with my sweaty hair pulled back wearing college mesh shorts and a t-shirt. But really Tony, you're not doing yourself any favors here. And you're going to make me late for court.

2 comments:

Spicy Law Girl said...

Headphones ARE the universal sign for leavemethefuckalone...why don't the Tonys get that?

(I actually have a personal trainer, but I wasn't solicited, and it's a female who's actually in her late 30's)

Anonymous said...

We have so much in common. Well, except for the gym thing and you being a woman.