Friday, December 07, 2007

Deep Breath

I got a raise. Not quite as much as I wanted, and I will have to work more as it involves a combination of base salary increase plus bonuses. But overall, it will allow me to move to a nicer neighborhood (although, as per nyc, my apartment will be smaller), keep paying my loans, and breathe (slightly) easier. At least for now. The whole "savings" and "retirement" thing will still be mostly on the backburner.

So. I did an incredibly difficult thing. Something I've never done before, and most of my friends have never done before. My bosses made it clear that they want to keep me and keep me happy. So why don't I feel completely satisfied? Is it our lot in life to always want more? And I'm not even talking about money anymore.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am proud of you - blast fax kudos all around.

Zuska said...

Congratulations. I'm sorry that you're still feeling discontented.

You must miss Boston. ;)

She says said...

Wahoo! Biggest congrats! The money is great but it's fantastic that your bosses recognize your value and want to keep you happy. And that you stuck up for yourself -- you go! So you're getting great experience and a raise. Wahoo you!

I actually left my last firm job because they were exploiting me and not willing to pay even market rate, let alone my true value. I quit without another job lined up because enough was enough.

And now you can buy a new iPod, too.

Sarah said...

Yay for you! It's scary to ask for a raise, and you did it, successfully!

I don't know if we will ever be content. It's too soon to say.

Harmless Error said...

thanks guys!

zuska, i do miss boston;)

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS!!!! In the words of Lt. Col. Frank Slade, "HOOAH!" I think it's our nature to always want a little bit more, and this seems to be more constant with respect to negotiations than any other thing!

Make Mine a Triple said...

That's awesome! Congrats!!! I don't know if I would have had the courage...