Sunday, May 11, 2008

I don't know that many people.

So when someone adds me as a "friend" on Facebook, I'm able to identify that person right away as a remnant from the cornucopia of my life 99% of the time. But today I got an email that, let's call him "Mike", had added me as a friend on Facebook, and, as you know, I need to confirm that we know each other. I have no idea who this person is. Do people do this now? Has Facebook crossed over into the realm of networking with people you don't even know? Because the only reason I liked it to begin with was in order to keep track of and keep up with people I otherwise would never see again.

So I investigated a bit, and it turns out we went to high school together, and in fact have three mutual Facebook friends. However, I definitely don't remember him. And my high school was not big. I've never rejected a Facebook friend request, but there's a first time for everything I guess.

What do I do? I'm not saying I have to be close buddies with everyone I'm Facebook friends with. But I think I should at least remember, you know, speaking to the person.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have an unusual first name, so every now & then I get 'friends' who are definitely strangers, but share my name.

Not wanting random information about people you don't know cluttering up your facebook profile is an entirely valid reason not to confirm. If "Mike" is offended, then he's clearly too invested in facebook.

Anonymous said...

You should fight him.