Monday, May 19, 2008

I'm 27.

And, for the first time in my life, I'm a big sister.

My father, age 67, and his 37 year old second wife, had a baby boy last night. I know this doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary for those of us with screwed up families. But here's the kicker.

No one knew a baby was on the way.

Granted, we don't talk much. But these are the sorts of things you're supposed to, I dunno, TELL YOUR CHILDREN, right?

I think my sister is cracking up. She's been going through a very hard time at work, and this morning when I called her and told her that we have a baby brother, she laughed for about ten minutes, and then stopped abruptly and immediately said, "wait, you always wanted a brother, right?"

Yes, I did. WHEN I WAS TEN.

I know a birth is a wonderful wondrous miraculous amazing thing. I know that. But this is my fucked up family we're talking about. Anyone who knows me and us, and I've talked to many of them today, has had the same reaction: You're fucking kidding me/what the hell was he thinking/Are you high?

I realize I may see the kid and fall in love with him, but that doesn't change how I feel right now. Unbelievable.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. What else can one say other than "wow?"

E. McPan said...

Um, wtf wow?

Grace said...

OMG!!! That is crazy! Wow.

Congrats?

blonde.counsel said...

Um. hmm. wow. That is crazy.

Sarah said...

Whoa. Wow. Seriously, I'm pretty sure that's one of those life events that requires...a phone call? Ahead of time? Fascinating.

Harmless Error said...

At least I'm not alone in thinking this is totally not normal.

Daisy, Just Daisy said...

Its like a scene straight of Desperate Housewives...and I thought only my family was able to mirror prime-time drama....