Monday, December 04, 2006

Informational Interviewing Makes Me Feel Like An Idiot

Dear ______,

Thank you so much for meeting with me today. I have attached my resume to this email for your review. Please feel free to pass it along to anyone you think is appropriate. While I know that your agency/firm is not currently hiring, I am so thankful that you were able to take 20 minutes out of your day to talk to me about your practice and how you know so many people in the area of the law that interests me but don't actually know whether/when/how any of them are hiring. I especially appreciated it when you told me how employers really take notice of people who volunteer their services in the hope of eventually being hired. As a licensed attorney with a six figure loan debt, I sure am looking to volunteer my services and appear completely desperate when I could make the same amount of money (read: none) catching up on General Hospital.

Again, thank you for meeting with me and making me feel less like a real attorney and more like a useless law student. Lord knows there aren't enough of those.

Yours truly,

Harmless Error



Seriously, ugh. Why do law school career services people think that "informational interviewing" is a good idea? I get the whole networking thing, but I find it easier in the cocktail party setting. It's a good thing I can start going to bar association meetings.

By the time I got home I had to have several glasses of wine and watch 3 episodes of Alias with my mom (who is now quite hooked on the awesomeness that is Sydney Bristow) before I felt like I didn't want to scream.

I'm off to NYC tomorrow for a real interview. With people who actually have an interest in me. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

feithline said...

I'm with you on the informational interviewing. I can't think of anything more useless than talking to people who you already know are definitely not hiring.

Good luck with your interview!!