Friday, December 01, 2006

It's (not) beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

I've just read two posts about how the first day of December has brought lovely snow to the blogger's respective locales. It is currently 64 DEGREES IN BOSTON. The temperature is supposed to drop tonight and snow is in the forecast for next week, but seriously, WTF!? No one loves winter more than I do!

I have some shopping to do this weekend. I need a nice professional winter coat for interviews and eventually work. My pea coat, which I've had since high school, is looking pretty weary, and does in fact make me look like I'm still in high school. (Of course, this is apparently not hard to do since when I was at the supermarket the other day, albeit in jeans, sneakers, a sweatshirt, and a ponytail, I was mistaken for a high school student by someone collecting money for the football team.)

So, I need a nice coat. And a new skirt suit and some nice professional jewelry, according to my mom. I suppose I agree that skirt suits are more sophisticated for interviews than pantsuits (damn sexists) and since I only have a couple that are neither gray nor black, I need another one. My Ann Taylor credit card has had a nice long break, so I guess it's time to whip it out again.

My sister (who left Stanford 6 credits short of graduating and still makes more money than I bet I will in my first real job) is asking about Christmas presents for this year, and I really just want to skip the whole thing. Everyone knows I don't have any money, and although this will be the last year where this will be the case, the idea of our usual gluttonous spending makes me ill. That doesn't mean that I don't want some work clothes and a couple of dvds, but why not just wait for all the after-Christmas sales? I think since deep down the only thing I want for Christmas is a job that I like and pays me what I'm worth, anything else seems trivial.

You know what's not trivial, though? Christmas music. Every time I hear Carol of the Bells it makes me think of Home Alone and how great Christmas was as a kid.

1 comment:

Brunette said...

The song that makes me think of Home Alone is "Rockin Around the Christmas Tree!" Because that scene with the clown and the Michael Jordan on the train is AWESOME!!!!