Sunday, January 14, 2007

On Being Single

I spent over two hours in the three story wonderland of Bed Bath & Beyond yesterday buying various items but most importantly looking for curtains. Having sheets strung up by rope on my windows really wasn't adding any homeyness to my apartment.

While browsing through the window treatments, I was privy to some eye-opening conversations between three young couples who were also buying curtains. These people were all about my age, maybe a couple years older, or maybe I'm just telling myself they were older because it's going to take me so long to get to the point where I'm picking out curtains with a guy.

At first I was struck with envy. Aww, they're so cute. They keep saying "our" this and "our" that. But then, with each of the three couples, the conversations began to get sticky. He wanted cheaper rods, she wanted the only curtains that weren't on sale, he left the paper with the measurements at home, she wants something sheer for the living room windows, he wonders what the hell the point of sheer curtains is, she doesn't want the same ones as X, blah blah blah.

One of the girls was so snippy and condescending to her boyfriend/husband that I stood there blatantly staring at them wondering, "why do you want to be with such a complete bitch?" I left the store secure in the knowledge that single is better.

But when I got home, after I proceeded to hang my lovely new curtains, clean up the remaining boxes and generally prettify the place, I curled up on the couch...by myself.

And felt envious once again.

I realize that meeting someone with whom I want to spend more than five minutes may require not spending Saturday night at home. But guys don't make things easy either. That guy who I thought I had sparks with who emailed me last weekend never responded to my cute and funny reply. Oh well. I guess "he's just not that into me."

In any case, something's gotta happen. The next time I have to buy curtains, for a different apartment, at least a year from now, I don't necessarily want to be buying them with Mr. Right, but maybe have Mr. Right Now come with me and give me his opinion.

Which I can choose to ignore.

2 comments:

adlime said...

i can so relate. being single has its ups and downs. i guess the best thing is to not be too let down by the "downs".
stay positive.
cheerios.

Douglas said...

No man gives a shit about curtains. He wanted to be with his friends. See Will Farrell in Old School. And she was a bitch for making him or guilting him into going...not being snippy about rods...