Friday, January 12, 2007

I'm sorry. I guess I'm confused. I thought this was America.

Unbelievable. Truly, utterly, fantastically unbelievable. Apparently "the senior Pentagon official in charge of military detainees suspected of terrorism said in an interview this week that he was dismayed that lawyers at many of the nation’s top firms were representing prisoners at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, and that the firms’ corporate clients should consider ending their business ties."

Now, lord knows I have major complaints with many procedural and substantive aspects of the "nation's top firms", but to attack any and all attorneys who volunteer their time to work on some of the most difficult, controversial, and thorny legal issues of our time is simply...unamerican. Mr. Stimson (the asshole who made these comments), have you read To Kill A Mockingbird lately? Maybe you should brush up on some basic civics and legal ethics.

Arrgh.

As for work stories, I have no fun stories. Just anxiety. I've been drafting discovery motions, researching various issues, going to depositions and writing reports of them for clients, and basically trying to not look like an idiot in the process of doing these things. I've always needed positive feedback, and I don't know how well my bosses are going to be at giving me that. Not getting negative feedback is one way to know you're doing ok, but affirmative praise is much more important.

I'll be admitted to the NY bar in two weeks at which point I will be handling hearings and conferences by myself very quickly. I think that's when the fun (read: horrifying) stories will begin.

No comments: