Monday, March 12, 2007

Starting the week off with a Bang.

Or, rather, a boom.

I fainted on the subway this morning. Yep. I made my usual dash from the gym to the subway (and looking back now, my workout was damn sluggish), entered the packed train car, gripped the railing, and after a few minutes I started to feel VERY warm. Hot. Stifling. Suddenly the darkness washed over me, but I thought it would pass quickly. The next thing I knew I was on the floor and people were helping me up and asking me if I wanted to go to the hospital.

I couldn't have been out for more than a few seconds, but it was pretty scary. And embarrassing. A nice woman got off the train with me at the next stop and got me some juice, and then rode with me the rest of the way to my stop to go to work. I was not going to the hospital. (Thank god I didn't have to be in court.)

I felt better after breakfast and coffee at work (which is usually where I have breakfast and coffee when I gym it in the morning). I was even able to accomplish a fair amount of work considering how lethargic I felt all day. So I'm not sure what's going on. I've always hated eating before running in the early morning (I cramp easily without enough digestion time - too much info?) but I can't be fainting on the subway. Not cool.

Oh, and while I woke up to running water back on, it's off again tonight because they are fixing the second of two broken pipes. I went and asked the ConEd dude while walking the pup a little while ago and he said it will be back on for good tonight or during the middle of the night and it was because of the drastic temperature extremes over the past week. 0 to 50 degrees in 24 hours will cause pipes to burst. Can I blame George Bush? Too late, I already am.

3 comments:

Grace said...

So glad you're ok!!! Do you really need any more reasons to stop this working out nonsense, Harmless? Clearly, no good can come from it.

Anonymous said...

What about a protein shake? Enough to get you to work without cramping/passing out?

The Once and Future TC said...

Yikes! Hope this doesn't happen again. :( If eating before running doesn't work, maybe a snack (granola, juice, etc.) afterward while you're on your way to work would do the trick?