Tuesday, April 24, 2007

"It's a crime in our community to snitch."

This is big in Boston right now. Has been for a few years now, so much that the chief justice of the Massachusetts Superior Court banned "no snitching" t-shirts from courthouses. I haven't heard so much about it in NYC, probably because I'm not working in a district attorney's office anymore like I did during law school, but it's around, and it's highly disturbing.

I have to say, I don't get it. No, I'm not a poor young black kid from the inner city, (although I was at one time a poor young half-Jew/half-Indian kid from the redneck countryside where inbred imbeciles drew backward swastikas on our windows) and I don't listen to Young Buck, Cam'ron, Akon, or Busta Rhymes. But honestly, I don't give a flying fuck about this being a race thing. I certainly can't explain it better than Geoffrey Canada. Yes, inner city communities often have a tempestuous relationship with the police, but if this continues, young African Americans are truly going to become their own worst enemy.

That wasn't very coherent. But I'm tired. I shouldn't watch Anderson Cooper before bed. His rile-me-up reports are not very sleep-inducing.

2 comments:

Brunette said...

Half-Jewish, half-Indian...that couldn't have been easy.

I wish I could go to bed early.

Harmless Error said...

Well, considering people always say I look Italian, and I don't give a shit about either or any religion, it was easier than it sounds.

Or, I've just buried some trauma to be unearthed in future therapy.