Monday, June 18, 2007

Sourpuss

It was almost funny. Almost.

I wanted a bowl of cereal when I got home from work. Just a little snack because I didn't feel like cooking dinner yet but was too hungry to wait. So I took out the half gallon of milk that I bought a few days ago. The sell-by date was tomorrow. But as soon as I opened it up, the stench hit me. Ok, fine, I poured it down the drain.

Then I went to the corner market to buy another carton. $2.50 and 5 minutes later, I poured the milk into a full bowl of Cinnamon Life, took a bite, and almost vomited. Sour. Again. The expiration date said June 26th.

Muttering, I marched back to the little market, plunked the just-bought but bad milk on the counter, and stated my claim. The owner, after smelling it and making a face, simply shrugged a "eh, it happens" and gave me a replacement carton.

Now, in hindsight, I shouldn't have left the store without opening the third carton up and smelling it, but of course I did not.

And then it happened again. This time I was not so nice to the little old man with the health hazard dairy products. I was starving, grossed out, annoyed, and had to throw out two bowls of cereal.

Turns out his entire batch of skim milk was bad. So he gave me my money back, a free half gallon of 1%, and a couple bite size snickers for my trouble.

But still. Blech.

2 comments:

Elle Woods said...

I'm a skim drinker/user too...It seems to spoil faster than other milk-or maybe it's that's just me being weird.

I will say the occasional times I've had to buy 1% or 2% in the last year, while I can't actually drink it, it's SO good on my cereal.

Anonymous said...

That sucks. Next to Darfur, this is clearly the worst thing I've ever heard about.