Wednesday, August 08, 2007

The Best Wednesday Ever!

My day at a glance:

8am: get out of bed. (happy that I had the chance to sleep in because of today's deposition at which I had to arrive at 10.)

8:25am: hear on TV that the 1,2, and 3 lines are shut down because of flooding.

9am: leave my apartment planning on walking to the A/C lines to get downtown.

9:15: arrive at the A/C lines to discover that they are not running, but the #1 train is.

9:25: get on the #1 downtown.

9:45: arrive at Columbus Circle, an announcement is made that no trains are going any further downtown, and commuters should try to take a bus.

10am. 10:15. 10:20. 5 bursting full buses pass where I and many others are waiting.

10:30: Boss #1 calls me while walking (and walking and walking) to the office. He tells me to sit tight while he tries to find out if the deposition is going forward or whether I should just try to make my way to the office. Not that I could hop a cab anyway as they are all full.

10:30-11: I "sit tight" (read: standing, sweating, dripping, muttering) and chat with others who are similarly stranded.

11:10: I haven't heard from anyone. I walk to Times Square and take the N train, which seems to be the only one going anywhere further downtown.

11:30: get out at City Hall, after witnessing a fistfight on the subway platform. Contemplate jumping into the fountain in the middle of City Hall Plaza.

11:35: Check my voicemail, which tells me to forget the deposition and just get to work when I can.

12pm: arrive at the office, pant cuffs rolled up to capris length, glistening with my own sweat and probably that of other people (ew), and sit down in my nice air conditioned office.

12:45: we get a call that someone needs to appear in criminal court on a case. Fuck. Immediately I know it's gonna be me.

2:15: show up in court, call out the client's name (because I've never met her) in the hallway and softer in the courtroom.

2:30: Call out the client's name again.

2:45: Client shows up.

3:45: get back to the office. Realize I may die of starvation, having eaten nothing but a yogurt and way too much iced coffee all day.

4pm: Scarf down a quite delicious and hearty salad. Definitely the highlight of the day.

6pm: Arrive at the gym. Work out for all of 40 minutes.

7:45: Arrive home. After a very slow subway ride. But at least it was running. Proceed to crank up the air conditioner and take a long cool shower.

Attention, MTA New York City Transit: the terrorists are taking notes. You fuck up this badly because of some rain, and you expect us to swallow a fare hike in the next year? Please.

Also, there shouldn't be tornados in Brooklyn. Ever. I'm blaming George Bush. As usual.

2 comments:

E. McPan said...

I can't believe you went to the gym and worked out after all that. You need to get your head checked.

Harmless Error said...

Agreed.