Tuesday, August 07, 2007

There's really no PC way to say this.

But being PC is so '90s and totally overrated and unhelpful.

So. Here's my gripe.

I have a problem with Latino men. Not all of them. Only the distinct subset who adhere to the machismo mindset that it is perfectly acceptable to make physical, visual, and auditory references to girls and women who are simply walking down the fucking street. I realize that all men check out women. We do a lot of checking out of our own. Believe you me. However, I cannot describe how much I prefer the subtle once overs and subdued eye contact to the in your face bullshit that seems to only come from Latino men.

Has living in New York made me a racist? I don't think so. This is how I feel. I had a conversation with my mom about it. My mother. Who has been on many national panels and given presentations at numerous conferences about her work in all things race-related. We came to the conclusion that as long as I continue with the meta-awareness, I shouldn't feel guilty about my thoughts and feelings. So I don't.

And I didn't, again, when just now on the way home I was faced with another example of pure cultural indecency. Assholes.

To end on a less inflammatory note, The Bourne Ultimatum was not exactly excellent, but highly entertaining nonetheless. It's rare that people actually clap both during and after a movie.

4 comments:

Fannie Wolfe said...

I agree.

PC people will tell you, "it's a Latino cultural thing" and act as though you are racist for being annoyed/threatened by catcalls by Latino men.

And to that, I say this: yeah, well it's a woman "cultural thing" to not want guys to hoot and holler at you when you just want to mind your own business.

DutchGirl said...

My theory is that those guys deliberately misunderstand the scowls that follow such behavior as encouragement.

Grace said...

I think what pisses me off the most is that Latina women NEVER hoot and holler at me. WTF.

Anonymous said...

Amen!