Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Ex Speaks

People throw around the word "coincidence" way too often. When you truly experience one, it should be somewhat shocking. Like mine tonight.

I met a few girlfriends for post-work drinks and snacks (why do women always insist on ordering "a few appetizers to share"? For the record, I just scarfed down some leftover pasta at 10:45 pm.) Anyway, after discussing work, friends, family, real estate (?!), etc., we not surprisingly made our way to what each of our ex boyfriends are up to these days. Now, in all honestly, my friends have had much more relationship experience than little old me, and their ex r'ships were all multiple year dramas that even I know inside and out at this point. I've had one real relationship that lasted less than a year, but naturally my thoughts drifted to this man and the fact that I truly had no idea what was going on with him. I felt a little sad about it.

And then, on my walk home, my phone rings, and who is it? None other than Ex himself showing up on my display pad. Still slightly buzzed, I look hard at the screen. Definitely him. I answer somewhat shakily and surprised, and he says he was thinking about me and wondering how I was doing since we haven't talked for at least 6 months. Even then, I think it was just a few emails. Anyway, we had a nice long conversation. Easy, comfortable, catching up on this and that, joking, etc.

But I must be careful. Because I remember why I broke up with him. Being lonely right now does not change that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hang in there, kiddo. I know its tempting to forgot the bad things about awful exes. please let me know if you need me to fight him.

Jamie E. Hampton said...

I second anon above. Be cool.

Anastasia said...

Gaw, it's tempting though, isn't it? Mine was in town last week and I found myself thinking, "He doesn't live here. It couldn't be that bad."