Tuesday, September 11, 2007

It was a Tuesday then too.

But it was dark and threatening and raining today, unlike Tuesday six years ago.

My office overlooks ground zero. And this was the first year I've been in New York City since 9/11, when I got out of the subway at 8:45 to get to my internship 3 blocks from the WTC. When I heard a loud buzzing, looked up, and saw the first plane hit. When I was so confused thinking to myself "why are there feathers coming out of the building?" when it was thousands of pieces of paper. When something like that happens your brain does funny things at first. I finally got in touch with my family 4 hours later, and I was literally scared my mom was going to collapse out of relief from hearing my voice.

It's different outside of New York. It's different within New York. Midtown is different than downtown. Yes, everyone should and has moved on to some extent. But 9/11 did affect the entire world. Not in the way George Bush says it did. But it did.

I'll save my whining and crazy dream for tomorrow's post. Cuz it's not about me today.

1 comment:

She says said...

Gawd, I can't even imagine. I was in DC. I was late going to my office (three blocks from the White House) because I was jet-lagged from a trip. That's why I was at home when it all happened.

My mother, brother, boyfriend and I all worked at potential targets in DC -- the World Bank, the Capitol, near the White House. But I didn't experience it like you did. Or like the many, many close calls I heard about -- people who overslept and were late for meetings in the Twin Towers or who had to stay behind and wait for a delivery of documents for a very important meeting in the Pentagon, the part that was incinerated.

You're right that the world changed that day. I know I did.