Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Tell Me I'm Pretty.

Because sometimes I need to be told. Like when I see a bunch of perfectly coiffed female attorneys with perfect hair and perfect suits and perfectly professional looking makeup and gorgeous jewelry and well, I could go on.

I often air dry my hair on the subway. It's still shiny and healthy and nice. I do actually rejoice in my hair. But there are fly aways. And I throw it up in messy buns and knots almost every afternoon. My eye and lip makeup usually consists of mascara and lip gloss, and I own maybe three nice necklaces and pairs of earrings. Rings? Never got into them. And clearly the left ring finger will be bare for the foreseeable future.

I have nice suits. And nice shoes. And a couple nice bags. Yet I can't seem to put it all together without looking like I'm trying too damn hard instead of looking effortlessly perfect.

And the nails. Oh, the nails. I. Just. Don't. Care. I think spending money on manicures is a big fat waste. I've always been a picker - not a a biter, a picker. But it's produces the same effect. Bad nails. I occasionally brush some innocuous color on them, and have made sure my toenails have been colored and presentable in summer shoes for the past few months. But again. I don't care about my damn nails.

All in all, over a year out of school, and I probably still look like a law student pretending to be a lawyer. Maybe when I feel more lawyerly (which is definitely happening slowly over time), I'll gain that effortless physical coiffed-ness I admire in others.

Or I'll just have fly aways and bad nails for the rest of my life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're a dish! :)

Jamie E. Hampton said...

No, don't give in to the dark side...be yourself.

Daisy, Just Daisy said...

I'm religious on the mani's and pedis and pile on the mascara, but its only so when I look in the mirror at the horribe circles under my eyes and the awfulness that curly hair becomes at the end of the day I feel like I have some relation to the "polished" person I was when I left the house. But in reality I left the house with wet hair, so maybe I'm just fooling myself.

Grace said...

You are the very prettiest EVER.