Monday, October 15, 2007

I Am So Not Sophisticated.

I'm gonna admit something that most educated professionals would decree as unacceptable. I don't love traveling. Whether it's Mexico or New Mexico, Alaska or Africa, I don't really want to go. It's not that I don't appreciate and value other cultures, traditions, cuisine, etc. I'm just kinda neurotic. I like routines. Schedules. Plans. And my money. I'd rather spend it making my home the most comfortable place it can be rather than deal with shitty exchange rates, jet lag, and geographical confusion. I think if I ever (and this is highly unlikely) have the means to not really care how much I spend on traveling, I'd probably enjoy it. But that hasn't happened yet. The two weeks I spent in Europe after the bar exam were nice, but the little "you're spending too much" bug never stopped buzzing around my head.

I do want to see this country before I really explore other countries. And I have freaking FAMILY in another country. A lot of family. Who I've never met. For various reasons having to do with my degenerate yet workaholic and brilliant yet crazy father. But I want to see Idaho. And Montana. And the fucking Grand Canyon. And actually, yes, Alaska. But when's it gonna happen? I go from one coast to the other and that's it. I'm a boring born and bred northeast chickadee who would rather spend $1000 on a TV (not that I have yet, but I'm saving) than a plane ticket. When a plane crashes, you die. When your TV crashes, you call the repair guy.

1 comment:

teahouse said...

I'm with you. I am not much of a traveler, either! I'm engaged to someone who loves traveling, and I've allowed him to expand my horizons. We've visited some pretty amazing places, and I'm so thankful that he's shown me how much fun traveling can be.

But deep down, I'm still a homebody whose idea of a perfect vacation is spending a week in bed with my fuzzy pajamas, hot chocolate and a good book!