Thursday, February 28, 2008

It's been a while.

Time for more subway tales.

3 pm. Post court appearance. Waiting for the #4 train to get back to the office. Police activity on the platform. It's unclear what the hell is going on, but when the train arrives, no one is allowed to get on. Why? Because, according to the esteemed NYPD officers on duty, there has been some kind of "immediate threat" that warrants action.

Or, inaction, as you will. The train sat there empty for nearly 30 minutes. Now, I was perfectly happy to wait because I get to bill all travel time, no matter the clusterfuck that is the NYC subway system. So I'm standing there, leaning against the wall tapping my foot to my music and browsing some paperwork, when one of the officers taps me on the shoulder and says, "Ma'am, we don't know how long this is going to take so you might want to take a different route." My reply: "Oh, that's ok, any other route would take twice as long anyway so I'll just wait here."

And then there it was:

"Well, if you want you could come wait in the police booth with me. Those shoes sure don't look very comfortable."

Ok, they weren't very comfortable, but I wasn't about to reciprocate any flirting just because my feet were about to fall off.

Another 10 minutes passed, the train left empty, another one arrived, and I was on my way. Frankly, a little freaked out hoping I wasn't about to be blown up, but on my way nonetheless. And then, walking up the few steps in the lobby of my office building, I TWISTED MY ANKLE IN THE DAMN SHOES I WAS WEARING.

I think God is punishing me for rejecting a man's advances.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The flirty police officer should hook up with the weird jesus guy on the subway. That would be hot.

Anonymous said...

I thought men in uniform were supposed to get it done.