Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Uh, John McCain probably looks young to you too.

So I picked a jury. I don't think I looked like a total idiot, and I'm generally happy with the people I got, so that's that. Also! I can confidently say that I did not violate the Constitution. Yay. Now of course the hard part begins. Opening statements are next Thursday, but I have a shitload to prepare before then.

I did get called out for looking young. By a, literally, 95 year old judge: "Well, hello missy! And how long have you been practicing law?"

Internal dialogue: do not roll your eyes, do NOT roll your eyes, just smile nicely and respond.

Thankfully, this wasn't the judge who will preside over the case. If he were I'd be afraid he'd give me a damn lollipop on our first day.

2 comments:

Silly Little Law Student said...

Congrats on a good jury pickin' day!

And don't feel bad about the judge thinking you're too young.... the 79 year old judge I previously worked for used to tease [in a very good mannered kind of way] all of the young women that came before him asking them if they're too young to be practicing law. And he teased everyone [even those you could tell were 50+ ] about being young chickens.

I'm guessing your judge didn't mean to be degrading, it's just their way of attempting to keep a pleasant courtroom.... or at least that's how he always played it off.

Grace said...

YAY! I'm so excited for you. This is it, Baby!

I sorta wish I practiced in NYC or you practiced in Chicago, so we could be opposing counsel.

We'd say really snappy Law & Order sort of things to each other in the courtroom, and then meet up later and get sloshed.

Please keep us posted on how it goes.