Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Olympics are coming!

Full disclosure: I LOVE the Olympics. The drama, the pain, the triumph, the heartbreak, the excitement. All of it. I can't wait.

The Olympic trials for Gymnastics were on this weekend (finishing right now), and I am SO HAPPY that the girls look - dare I say it - healthy! Muscular as all hell, obviously very low body fat, but not stick thin little twigs circa 1992 Bela Karolyi-style gymnasts with constant expressions of terror and hatred for what they were doing. Old Bela's now an NBC sports contributor. Ew. But at least he can't dominate the girls anymore. I quit gymnastics at age 8 (and took up skating) when my sadist coaches tried to make me do a back handspring on the high beam before I could really do it on the low beam. And then at some point, shortly after I stopped skating competitively, I read this (it's pretty accurate), and my hatred for Bela was solidified.

But anyway. Olympics! Yes!

4 comments:

Texas Truth said...

He is the worse thing that ever happened to gymnastics in the USA. He and his wife completely dominate the sport. I know people in the sport and they tell me how they run the show, pushing they way until they get there way. I have been told many people have quit gymnastics because of him and his wife. They is not in it for the gymnasts. They are in it for themselves. That is my opinion of the whole mess...

Daisy, Just Daisy said...

Bela offered to coach my cousin who was an amazing gymnast. Her parents couldn't say no fast enough. And she went to college & is a normal, fabulous (petite) person.

Sarah said...

Harmless, I repeat my question: are we the same person? Actually, we're not. I danced before I skated. But I'm obsessed with the Olympics, and I actually used that book in my high school thesis. Which was about figure skating, gymnastics and... beauty pageants? I can't recall part 3.

Anonymous said...

Yum. Gymnast-turned-skater. :)