Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Who wants to go back to high school?

Next spring will be my ten year reunion, but it certainly doesn't feel that long. I doubt I'll go to the reunion itself. I speak to one person on a semi-regular basis and keep up with the rest on Facebook only. As in, we never actually have to converse or interact with each other. I mean, really, do I want to?

Tomorrow there is a NYC alumni happy hour thing (I was a scholarship kid at an overpriced private boarding school where I felt out of place for 4 years, ok? shut up) happening which I haven't RSVP'd to but someone emailed me and asked if I was planning on going. Um, no? I'll get a drink with you but I don't really want to stand around awkwardly while everyone downs at least two drinks before they feel comfortable enough to approach that guy/girl who they sat next to in some class 10+ years ago. Other than this one person who emailed me, I don't know who I would really talk to. I was the girl everyone thought was smart and nice and no one had a problem with, but no one really noticed me one way or the other either. At least that's how I saw myself.

Maybe you all have close friends from high school and don't understand what I'm talking about. If so, you're clearly not my target audience. (Kidding! Keep reading! I love you!) But my close friends are mostly college and some law school based people, and thinking about the years 1995-1999, well, it pretty much seems like a lifetime ago.

So I don't think I'm gonna go. Tentative dinner plans with a real friend have just been finalized, and honestly, a real connection beats a fake trying-too-hard one any day of the week.

Coming up: a post for all the bar exam takers out there. To give you something to look forward to: it involves the police. And a sunburn.

No comments: