Thursday, July 10, 2008

How to Tire of Music.

Seems difficult, huh? Well, train for a marathon, and the same 1000 or so songs get old quickly. I haven't decided whether I'll be using the ipod during the actual marathon (Born to Run v. the cheering crowd?), but for now I've discovered the joy of audio books. I'm currently half way through one of James Patterson's Alex Cross murder mystery novels (I love them), but I feel the need to venture outside the box.

So, I'm taking recommendations. It needs to be engaging, intense but not requiring TOO much brain power, and possessing some quality which will make me focus on the story images in my head and not my breathing or the eventual ache in my legs, neck, shin, etc.

So what should I "read" next?

8 comments:

Daisy, Just Daisy said...

Harry Potter on tape is phenomenal. Jim Dale does an AMAZING job with all the voices. And while interesting, the story isn't particularly complicated.

Sarah said...

I love This American Life on podcast for long runs. They're an hour long, they are always enthralling and they definitely make the time go faster.

Anonymous said...

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell.

AB said...

twilight series by stephanie meyer

Anonymous said...

You just made me want to read KISS THE GIRLS again. When I read it, I thought, "This is the best book I've ever read." I'd like to see if I feel the same way ten years later. I have a feeling I would!

Harmless Error said...

Thanks for the ideas, guys:) I will definitely be trying them.

And TF, I never actually read Kiss the Girls (although I saw the movie). I think it's one of his first books in the series, no? Maybe I should check out that one too. Since that movie, however, I picture Morgan Freeman as Alex Cross in my head now.

Anonymous said...

Morgan Freeman is a fantastic actor, but he is NOT right for the role of Dr. Cross. You know who I pictured instead when I was reading it? Mr. Darnell from LEAN ON ME. Remember, Mr. Clark (Morgan Freeman) suspended Mr. Darnell for moving during the singing of the school song. Anyway, that guy was the perfect age and would have made a better Cross. Read KISS THE GIRLS. It was absolutely amazing. FIVE HUNDRED times better than the film. Kate is a super awesome literary character.

Anonymous said...

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson