Saturday, July 26, 2008

You mean I get to keep eating?

12 miles. Toast with peanut butter, coffee, and water beforehand. Water, gatorade, and a gel pack during. (I should have brought two - last couple miles were brutal.) Ice bath followed by warm shower. Then, more food. I went for a scrambled egg plus two egg whites with shredded cheese and salsa wrapped in a tortilla.

It's barely 1pm. I've already eaten 800-900 calories. But I burned 1200. SO WEIRD.

I'm not doing this to lose weight. I've been in reasonably good shape for years, and just wanted to undertake the challenge. Certain pants do feel a bit looser, which is always nice. But this whole knowing how much to eat thing is worrisome. People tell me to "eat more than you think you should" but I've also heard about how some people actually gain weight during marathon training, strange as it may sound.

Fuck, things hurt. Left hip flexor. Right knee. Left baby toe. Right shin. HEELS. I'm gonna ice, watch the rest of Save the Last Dance on TBS, and possibly take a nap so I'll be ready to take on the dinner and party I have to attend tonight. In flats.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

I gained weight running the marathon. It's not the long run days that caused me to gain weight. Its all the other days when I was ravenous. Sounds like you're doing ok tho. 12 miles is good. Ice baths are good. I wish I'd done more of those during training. I didn't take one until after the marathon. Brrr. But oddly, seems to help.

Daisy, Just Daisy said...

I'm sorry did Anonymous Hottie move to NYC and take over your blog for the day??

Harmless Error said...

Well, the 17 year old in me still has ...food issues, so the fact that I'm doing this well is a good thing.

Is AH marathon training too? While (I think?) studying for the BAR? Damn.

Daisy, Just Daisy said...

Yes, yes she is. I support her thoroughly. By, um, telling her she did an awesome job on her 15 mile run.

K said...

Ooh yes I am training for the marathon - yay someone else with whom I can geek out about running! Things I have learned so far:
The "shot bloks" are WAY yummier than the gu or gel. They taste like gummy bears.
I want to eat all of the time and must seriously watch what I am consuming.
$10 a pair running socks are totally worth it. So is body glide stuff.
My dorky running belt with 4 water bottles attached is really really useful.
Short hair + visor = penis head.
Also, I thought I ran 15 miles last Sunday and was disappointed in my time until I did my 16 mile run today and realized I actually also ran 16 miles last week and am now very proud of myself.

Anyway, go you! And if you want to geek out more let me know, Daisy seems to be tired of me chatting mindlessly about my running habits. :)

Daisy, Just Daisy said...

No! I totally support you. I'm just in the worst shape of my life (and used to be in fairly awesome shape) so I'm more sad that I too can't just jaunt around and run 16 miles.

Sigh.

Soon! Back to the gym as soon as the exam is over!

K said...

You realize we are now talking to each other on yet another person's blog, right? ;)

Harmless Error said...

Haha!

a. 16 miles is no jaunt. More of a plod toward the end. At least for yours truly.

b. you guys will kick ass this week. that is all.