Sunday, January 18, 2009

I went to a dinner party tonight.

I arrived late.

Because I spent a solid half an hour hyperventilating and slightly crying in my apartment prior to leaving. Why?

Because I couldn't put on a bracelet that I got for Christmas. It was one of those things where you realize you just NEED another person to help you do something like fasten a clasp because you can't do it with one hand. I don't have another person. I'm nowhere near having another person.

Yeah. So that happened. After I spent the previous night and most of the day comforting a good friend who is wrapped up in a total shitshow of a relationship. She got locked out of her apartment after a fight with the on again off again boyfriend and spent the night on my couch.

But I bet she doesn't have any problem wearing a bracelet with a delicate clasp.

3 comments:

Daisy, Just Daisy said...

I've been there. I have so, so been there. Reading your post makes *my* heart hurt a little because it was like reliving my somewhat similar-ish experience.

I was unloading the dishwasher in a hurry (I had somewhere to be) and I had the high cupboards open and I bent down to pick up a fork that I dropped- I stood up, and slammed my head into the corner of the cabinet door that was open. I fell backwards, clutching my head, and passed out for a minute. I woke up, and the first thing I could think was "Oh God, if I'm bleeding I'm dead." Luckily, somehow, I did not have a gash in my head. I still don't know how it didn't break the skin. I don't know how long I was lying there, but head wounds bleed fast and that was all I could think of. How I was alone and that was it.

I called my Mom and told her that if she hadn't heard from me in 24 hours, ever, while I lived alone, I wanted her to call my doorman & authorize an entry.

Um. My comment isn't very uplifting. Other than to say, man, you are not the only one. And perhaps those medic alert thingies for old people are not *such* a bad idea, eh? That and dogs with opposable thumbs.

The Artful Blogger said...

Having spent most of my adult life by myself, I have become used to doing most things by myself. Oh sure, it completely sucks (especially around the holidays and dinner party schedules), but the only thing more depressing than thinking about it is knowing that you have items that make being alone more bearable.

Case in point-it would have been much sadder if you had one of these in your possession:

http://www.amazon.com/Aids-for-Arthritis-Bracelet-Buddy/dp/B0006Z3HMW/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1232551499&sr=8-1

Although I do not have something like this (as I do not wear bracelets), I have many other things in my condo that scream "yes, I am alone and I deal with it."

Somewhere between a "bracelet buddy" and a "shitshow of a relationship", there is happiness. You gotta believe :-)

Harmless Error said...

Thanks guys. I realize I might have overreacted, but sometimes those thoughts of "I'm going to die alone and no one will find me for a week and my dog will start to eat my dead body" start to invade the normal spaces of the mind...