Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Stolen Lines #1

I tried to think of the right answer. Unable to think of that, I spoke anyway.

"Because I'm not."

When the woman first walked into the subway car, I knew right away she was going to be one of the more in your face people. The tattered and dirty clothes, noticeable stench in the middle of winter, and a picture of two young kids hanging around her neck made it obvious, but the way she moved perked me up. The New York City homeless, more than others, have a tacit understanding with those they seek help from. If you're gonna ask me for money, don't even think about invading my personal space.

"Do you have any change?"

"No, sorry."

"Come on, I know you got something. Why aren't you gonna help my babies eat?" She pointed to the picture hanging from bright blue yarn around her neck.

I tried to think of the right answer. Unable to think of that, I spoke anyway.

"Because I'm not." I'm not going to be guilted into it by a homeless person at least, I thought to myself.

"Please ma'am. Pleeeeeaaase." She was a few inches from me at this point. The other passengers grasped their bags tightly and shot me glances of their condolences.

"Hey." It came out sharper than I intended, but she was leaning in and had totally crossed the boundary.

"What? What? You think you own this train? Like I got no right to be here?"

I tried to think of the right answer. Unable to think of that, I spoke anyway.

What was the right answer? "Sure, you have a right to be here, although it is illegal to panhandle. And FYI, there's even a separate statute against panhandling on the property of the New York City Transit Authority. It carries higher penalties." No, I'm pretty sure that would have been the nerdy answer.

But I snapped. And spoke anyway.

"MOVE. Or I will have you arrested. "

She moved.

-------------------------------------------------------------
True story. I was in no mood that night. The first two sentences are stolen from Night of the Avenging Blowfish by John Welter. I may be the last to post as part of Grace's Blog Experiment this time around. However, I heart her and want to do it again soon.

3 comments:

Grace said...

Completely AWESOME. And I heart you, too. And I wish you'd come and visit Chicago!

Namby and Daisy agree. We were talking about you over drinks the other night.

Anonymous said...

Me likey, Harmless! Well done!

Anonymous said...

Nice! I don't know if it is the cold or the economy (or both...) but I have found myself growing increasingly less patient with almost everyone, especially folks on the subway. The other day someone pulled one of my most-hated moves - insisting on moving to the door when the train is still moving (and quite a bit away from the station). It's not like you're not going to get off the train; why should I have to let go of the bar and probably fall into someone just so you can walk by me? I normally accommodate these people and stew silently about it later, but this time I just could not do it. She was standing right in front of me and clearly waiting for me to move. When I did not move, she asked me to move because she was getting off at the next stop (bear in mind that she was, I kid you not, about 5 feet from the door). I told her that I understood, but that the train was moving and I would be sure to let her by when it came to a stop. She gave me a dirty look but said nothing further. Ok, rant over.