Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Wine and chocolate.

I am not Catholic, or anything really, but I wonder each year, if I were, what would I give up for Lent?

The concept makes little sense to me. I know it's a religious thing, and actually stands for and means something, but what's the big deal about giving something up for 40 days? (It's 40 days, right? Am I making that up?) Why isn't it that you have to give up something FOREVER? Maybe by the time you reach middle age you'd have nothing left to eat besides spinach and nothing left to do besides work.

I've read a bunch of facebook status messages that people are giving up facebook for Lent. I think if you are writing that, you're probably too addicted to facebook to give it up. Then there's the obligatory food issues. Chocolate, carbs (ooooh! evil! wtf I hate everything), white flour, white foods, etc. And the drink. All alcohol, wine, whiskey, etc. Again, if you think you need to give up alcohol for Lent, you are DEFINITELY drinking too much.

I am currently drinking an extra large glass of wine. What of it?

7 comments:

Daisy, Just Daisy said...

I'm not Catholic but I give something up every year for Lent. The whole 40 days thing has to do with noting a period of deprivation and good behavior & all that jazz. Yeah...last year I gave up fried food, this year, cupcakes.

The Artful Blogger said...

I am not Catholic, but I have decided to give up all frivolous spending for 40 Days. For people who know me, that will be quite a challenge! In the end, maybe I will be rewarded with...oh...a savings account or something.

And Daisy...I am going to test your resolve with wave after wave of my famous red velvet cupcakes!

Good luck with the wine and chocolate!

Harmless Error said...

Haha. For the record, I am NOT giving up wine or chocolate. Or anything. I was just pontificating.

Anonymous said...

40 days comes from the time period that our Lord and Savior (Jesus) spent in the desert fasting.

I am giving up threesomes for Lent. If you gave up wine and chocolate I would think less of you (and rightfully so).

Sarah said...

What counts as frivolous spending? 'Cause I think maybe I should try that one instead of something food related. Both my waistline and my wallet would probably benefit.

The Artful Blogger said...

For me, frivolous spending = cab rides, clothes that I do not need, dinners out that I do not need, electronics that are not necessary, dvds and blu-rays, and Starbucks every day when the firm has 2 free Keurig machines + multiple other free options for coffee, tea, juice, and soda.

Wine and chocolate, however, are NECESSITIES and should not be given up. Nope.

Anonymous said...

I nominate "Anonymous'" comment as one of the all-time best comments ever left on a blog!