Tuesday, April 17, 2007

More Subway Fun

On the way home tonight, I found myself sitting next to a young man who couldn't have been more than 20, reading a parenting book by Dr. James Dobson. Yeah, this guy. Apparently he's written a bunch of best-selling books on how to be a good (read: crazy christian child beater) parent. At first I wanted to rip the book out of the young man's hands and slap some sense into him. If he has a kid at 20 he clearly needs all the sense he can get. Then I thought maybe he's a student and this is some kind of wacky assigned reading for his comparative religion/sociology class. I started peeking over his shoulder to glimpse some of the page, and what did it say?

"Children must be taught that their bodies are their own, but if they begin to explore their physicality to an extent that makes you uncomfortable, you must firmly make them understand the immorality and possibility of infections from their actions."

I swear.

I nearly lost it.

But then, just as I was about to commit assault and battery, my ipod, on shuffle, saved me with The Divinyls' "I Touch Myself". And just to freak the guy out, I began to sing it softly under my breath, just loud enough for him to hear me. Take that, "Dr." Dobson.

1 comment:

Grace said...

HAHAHAHA!! I heart you! You're hilarious.