Wednesday, October 24, 2007

I wouldn't call myself a feminist per se...

(I mean, I am, but in the good ways. The label has taken on a pejorative meaning over the years and so I can't associate with it. Anyway, a subject for another post.)

But here's the thing.

Despite the fact that the number of women in law school has outnumbered men for at least a few years now, old school attorneys (men) still draft correspondence and discovery demands as "Dear Sirs" or "Sirs" or "Attention Sirs" all the freaking time. I get at least one a week. I'm not a Sir. If you're not with it enough to use my real name, or you don't know exactly who to direct something to in the firm, how about just "Dear Counselor(s)"?

It pisses me off.
---------------------------------------------
A 10:47pm complete nonsequiter: Watching Game 1 is really making me miss Boston.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this stopped counting as a game 15 mintutes ago.

Daisy, Just Daisy said...

Agreed. Ditto Duke.

Anonymous said...

Maybe the reason the word feminist has taken on a pejorative connotation is because a conservative movement succeeded in convincing a lot of women that the word (that means advocating that the rights of women should be equal to those of men) is really bad and that you shouldn't use it. And maybe society would find it more difficult to demonize a word that gave women the power to vote, practice law and be considered real human beings if women wouldn't shy away from the term.