Sunday, November 25, 2007

Well that was fun.

I think I might never leave home again. I could get a big tree (thanks to my high ceilings), some lights, and have a nice quiet little Christmas in New York, drinking hot toddies and watching Home Alone on the big flatscreen I plan to buy.

But I probably won't. I'll probably suck it up and trek to Aunt Crazy and Uncle Deacon's* house for more fun times where insults are strewn like garland and passive aggression is the main course.

Let's just say I was hoping for/inexplicably expecting comfort and joy. And was greeted with other people's insecurities, issues, stupidity, hurtfulness, and thoughtlessness. Happy Holidays indeed!



*Uncle Deacon deserves some explanation. Born a Brooklyn Jew with the rest of my mom's family, he converted to Catholicism about 15 years ago, got his second Ph.D. in theology, and is now a Deacon in the Catholic Church. Like any good Catholic, he has a lot of issues he's never dealt with/fully admitted. Also like any good Catholic, he projects his issues onto others by telling them what they're doing wrong in their own lives. (I'm not just picking on Catholics - I'm an equal opportunity hater of all religions.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Other than the Judaisim, sounds like my family.

Huh.

Anonymous said...

A natural tree or synthetic one? I'm thinking about getting a tree this year - don't want to kill the bastard though, which makes a real one a little scary.

Harmless Error said...

As environmentally conscious as I try to be (um...), there's no replacement for a real tree.