Sunday, December 16, 2007

It's Sunday morning - why am I so tense?

Oh, because Mitt Romney is on Meet the Press:

Tim: "How did you reconcile the fact that your church did not grant full rights to blacks until 1978?"

Mitt: "Tim, I love my church. I will never distance myself from my church. Now, I am the son of my mother and father and they were strong supporters of civil rights. My father walked out of the 1964 Republic Convention because he didn't think Barry Goldwater was strong enough on civil rights. Of course I was happy when the church made a change. But my position has always been clear."

Tim: "But don't you think the Mormon Church was wrong?"

Mitt: "Tim, I think I've been clear on my position."

Um, really? First of all, the fact that you will never distance yourself from your church is, frankly, a problem. Second, if your parents, also Mormons, were such staunch supporters of civil rights (query - I wonder how many gay people there are in the higher ups of the Mormon church), why didn't you do anything to speed up the so-called reformation? 1978?! That's fucking embarrassing.

Another gem: "My work in the private sector, including when I headed up the Salt Lake City Olympic Committee, really prepared me to be president." Right. Because smoothing over the pairs figure skating judging scandal is on par with nuclear arms negotiations. Dick. (Sidebar: as a former figure skater, I am not in any way demeaning the sport. But I'm also not running for president.)

Also, I don't want a president named Mitt. Sorry.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm a former figure skater too! And I don't want Mitt to be president! Former Figure Skaters Against Mitt!

Harmless Error said...

Rock on dude.

Grace said...

Harmless, you win the gold medal in "Grace's Straight Girl Crush"


FIGURE SKATER. Oy.

Anonymous said...

No argument from me! Romney is a douche bag (though wasn't as much of one as he usually is when he battled with Russert on Sunday).