Wednesday, February 11, 2009

My ire is so raised.

I know it's been discussed to death, but this is my blog and so I get to discuss it my own way. What, you ask? The crazy psycho mentally unstable definitely had plastic surgery mom of the latest octuplets, Nadya Suleman. Here's the latest.

I guess it's all been said, but here's one thing I haven't read that seriously bothers me. First of all, if I am not able to have my own children, I would adopt before getting in vitro treatments. Hell, I plan on adopting even if I can pop them out one after another. Not that I'm likely to find this out any time soon. So here's the thing: this woman would NEVER have been able to adopt one kid, let alone 14. Unemployed. No degree. Receiving disability payments from a "work related injury." Single. Of the previous six kids, one is autistic and one is showing signs of cerebral palsy. (Let's not even discuss the developmental challenges the octuplets will face.) These things by themselves would not necessarily disqualify someone from adopting. Together, they would. (I know people in the know when it comes to this stuff.) Why is it that we think everyone has the god given right to reproduce yet we make adoptive parents jump through eight million hoops to get a baby? Yes, I realize there is no better choice, but it's still totally fucked up.

Back to Ms. Suleman. If she ends up with her own reality show, I'm jumping ship. I can't take it anymore. I'm moving to Antarctica or something.

2 comments:

Butterflyfish said...

It is very frustrating.

Law Ingenue said...

As someone who can't have children, maybe I'm jaded, but it seems to me that woman's being selfish. How much attention can you give your children if they are 1 of 14? And you're right, people who try to adopt either have to pay outrageous fees or are faced with enormous hurdles in order to have a child, but apparently, if you're disable and live in California, you can have eight at once, all paid for curtesy of the state.